Running an e-business, aren’t you? Could be an e-commerce (an online store), a site for advertising your services or a blog. Regardless of the specific type, surely you’d like to be able to find out what’s your website’s Google ranking. To learn how to do it, keep reading.
Generally, the higher the position, the more internet-visible the website is. What follows is that the users click & view the page more often, thus increasing the traffic. And from this, a number of benefits follow, including: increased website popularity and ROI getting higher. Tracking the position of your website is also crucial for SEO itself. Analyzing the changes in rankings, you can draw conclusions about the efficiency of links built and keywords chosen. High position indicates that the phrases are well-chosen and the SEO process is well optimized. However, a remote SERP ranking clearly shows the website requires work, i.e. optimization.
There are many tools for checking your Google ranking position:
- free software that will display the rankings for specific keywords;
- there’s the ever-reliable Search Console, which will tell you step-by-steps how to check your website ranking;
- the manual method – using Google queries to determine how high your site ranks;
- professional tools – used mostly by SEO agencies.
However, which method is the best for your website and is most likely to benefit you the most? Let’s see…
Simple way of Google rank tracking
Nothing keeps you from checking your Google ranking yourself – there are dedicated tools available. They read the data and visualize them, clearly showing how your website ranked on a particular day in the past, for a specific keyword. These two online tools can help you with that:
- Semrush – one of the most popular tools, also used by professionals. The tool is paid but you can use 14-day free period trial to check its features.
- Serpwatcher – this tool shows not only keywords position but suggestions and backlinks analysis. Free version of the fool offers 5 lookups per 24 hours, 50 keyword suggestions per search and backlinks per 24 hours.
Make the most of Google Search Console
Google has often mood swings about its rankings. This is partially due to updates happening pretty much continuously all across Internet. On the other hand, updates of Google algorithms themselves cause rankings shuffling. If your site is correctly indexed and has high quality, correctly built backlinks then you do not have to worry about it. However, it may be that your website ranking drops suddenly or the page doesn’t appear in search result page at all. What to do then? Follow these steps to solve this problem:
- check if your website appears in the Google index at all – it’s a piece of cake. Just enter the full URL of your page in the search bar like this:
If the page appears in the search results, it means that has been indexed by Google.
However, in case it’s nowhere in the search engine, use the Search Console for Webmasters help. The page could have been removed for various reasons, including several types of violations.
- how high does the domain name of your website rank – sometimes it may happen that a given site is in a far position in the search results due to being claimed by Google as a source of spam. Better watch out for Search Console hints and react quickly to any alert appearing in SC message panel.
- let Google know about the content on your website – if you have a brand new website, be sure to let Google know about it. You can easily do this via Search Console. Uploading a sitemap file is useful, too. It’s how you make it easier for Google crawlers to navigate within the page and index its pages.
- manual anti-spam Google activities – in addition to automated activities carried out on websites, Google has a manual process, too, keeping the search results displayed to the end user in check. Manual actions are implemented in case a website is flagged as spammy or otherwise violating Webmaster Guidelines. They may result in a page’s drop in search results, or even removing from the Google index entirely.
- whether your website has been found & indexed by Google – many benefits follow indexing your site in Search Console. For instance, you get access to important information and tools that help to improve your website performance. You can use a traffic analytics for your website and track Google search position rankings. When indexing your own site, watch out for issues, too – indexing errors, your robots.txt file, or possible URL blocking.
Google Search Console is an irreplaceable analytics tool, giving you insight into a number of issues that heavily affect how does your website finally rank.
Is it possible to check Google SERP ranking manually?
First of all, lots of spare time is needed for that. However, before you even begin, make sure to log out of all Google apps, add-ons, or extensions as they may affect the SERP list you get. Then simply google a keyword relevant to the page you want to find out about. To find out all the truth, play around with geolocalization settings, as it modifies the search results dramatically. For instance, SERP looks completely different if geolocalized in a particular city, than in a country in general. For this reason, manual method is not entirely reliable. There is always a possibility that the end result is distorted by many factors. On top of that, it really takes a lot of time and you are simply not able to check ranks for a larger number of keywords.
Professional Google ranking tracking tools
There’s a handful of tools made to track your website’s Google rankings, most often used by professional SEO agencies. Some of them are:
- Serprobot (former Serplab)
They allow you to monitor a large number of keywords relevant for your website, providing you with a whole package of accurate information about your Google search results ranking performance. However, mind that these are paid tools and only frequent, constant actually, monitoring a website with them makes sense.
Website rankings change constantly – immediate noticing and an appropriate quick response is only so much you can do. And it still does take time. If you want your online store, e-commerce, blog or website ranking to be tracked on a regular basis, consider hiring a SEO agency; tracking the website reporting any changes is what they do . It’s an only way to rest assured that your site ranks as high as it may, and you’re getting the most of the traffic possible.