- What trends will dominate the gardening industry in 2020,
- How to cope with seasonality,
- Which SEO activities and elements are particularly important in this industry.
Trends That Will Dominate The Gardening Industry in 2020Nowadays people strive to get close to nature. According to GardenResearch.com, last year 30% of households decided to buy at least one house plant. The boom is also easily noticeable on various social media platforms such as Pinterest where the number of search queries related to plants increased by 90% over the last year! Although our modern world is dominated by technology, people want to be close to nature. Ecological trends are more and more far-reaching and concepts like “zero waste” or “upcycling” are gaining in popularity. What’s more, the awareness of consumers also increases and they tend to select companies that rely on ecological solutions already at the stages of production or designing packaging. Young people called Millennials play a key role in the process of online shopping as they affect methods of searching for plants and buying them. That’s why owners of gardening e-stores should strive to make their websites as effective and efficient as possible. The so-called happiness economy is another dominant trend that has a great impact on the gardening industry. Customers struggle to improve the quality of their lives, affected also by the level of satisfaction with spaces around them. Product categories related to irrigation, swimming pools, substrates, fertilizers, grasses, and tools recorded dynamic sales growth in 2019. Obviously we can’t forget about the current situation caused by the pandemic which strongly influences the gardening industry. Various trade fairs, conferences, exhibitions and other events across the world had to be called off. Moreover, due to the imposed restrictions, customers aren’t particularly interested in buying plants in the traditional way. Therefore, if you run a gardening online store, this is a perfect and necessary time to focus on your website and ensure that users can safely place orders online. Some horticulturalists predict that online sales of potted, balcony, or ornamental plants will increase as people forced to give up their summer holiday plans are likely to devote more time to their close surroundings. So what is the takeaway for gardening business owners? The importance of the e-commerce sector will undoubtedly increase over time, moreover, business owners who want to be prosperous should adapt to modern customers as quickly as possible. Additionally, it’s worth spending some extra time to ensure that your product range offers only unique, diverse and top-notch plants.
How To Cope with Seasonality In The Gardening IndustryThe gardening industry perfectly reflects the nature of seasonal business. It means that there are months when gardening stores generate great profits and the so-called low seasons when revenues are rather small. The chart below shows the seasonality of a website operating in the gardening industry, keyword potential in particular months, and deviation from the average. How to properly perform SEO activities in an industry characterized by such high seasonality? The task isn’t the simplest, however, remembering about a few basic principles will ensure the success of your online store!
- The SEO process should be conducted throughout the whole year as proper activities can increase the visibility of the website from month to month. Starting the work much earlier ensures that the site will be visible on Google during the peak of the season which consequently contributes to increasing traffic and revenues of the company.
- Consider running a company blog where you can publish articles tailored to a particular season and discussing given aspects of the industry. The blog allows you to improve the topical authority of the domain, whereas linking particular products in your blog posts helps to increase the site’s visibility and at the same time redirects potential customers right to product pages.
- Analyze what phrases are likely to be searched for at specific times of the year and tailor your keywords to the season. During winter gardening stores may focus on keywords related to houseplants, spring is perfect for promoting tools and fertilizers, while in autumn it’s best to focus on products protecting plants against frost.