Daily SEO Checklist – 12 Tasks to Perform on a Daily Basis
In order to be successful, SEO activities have to be performed on a regular basis. Thanks to keeping your finger on the pulse and refining your strategy every day, you can gain a competitive edge over your market rivals, and sleep soundly knowing that your website complies with Google requirements. Want to discover our daily SEO checklist? Keep reading!
Table of contents:
- Monitor Google Search Console
- Monitor Google Analytics
- Check for Website Errors
- Monitor Website Speed
- Review Keyword Ranking
- Build Backlinks to Your Website
- Be Active on Social Media
- Keep Your Content Fresh
- Optimize Your Content
- Look out for Cannibalization
- Duplicate Content Check
- Low-Quality Content Clean-Up
- Daily SEO Tasks List – The Takeaway
1. Monitor Google Search Console
Google Search Console is a basic tool every SEO specialist knows like the back of their hand. With its use, you can easily check elements like:
- Clicks – with daily traffic analysis, you’ll be able to constantly monitor whether the number of visits to your website grows. Moreover, thanks to this data, you can easily track your progress and check if performed SEO activities bring the desired results.
- Impressions – if you want to check if your visibility in the search results increases, impressions is the metric that will allow you to evaluate it. With its use, you can check how many times your website appeared in the search results in a specific time range.
- Most popular pages and keywords – Google Search Console is also a great place to see which keywords have the greatest potential for conversion. As the rankings frequently fluctuate, it’s important to monitor them on a daily basis. This will allow you to react quickly to any changes or trends and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Moreover, GSC allows you to check which pages generate the highest organic traffic. If you frequently publish articles or new content, you should check Google Search Console at least a few times a week to make sure that your website performs successfully.
- Index coverage report – this report will allow you to check the number of all pages crawled by Google. It can be useful for troubleshooting indexing issues on your website and checking if important pieces of content have been crawled by Google.
2. Monitor Google Analytics
Monitoring Google Analytics is another position on our daily SEO tasks list. With GA, you can monitor your website traffic and audience. This data will help you plan your marketing efforts and evaluate their effectiveness.
What should you monitor on a daily basis?
- Organic traffic sources
- Number of sessions recorded
- Number of visitors to your website
- Amount of time spent on a particular page
- Bounce rate
- Users demographic – where do users visiting your website live, and what devices do they use?
3. Check for Website Errors
It’s another point where Google Search Console comes in handy. Error analysis is one of the most important SEO tasks that you should perform on a daily basis.
Errors can have a detrimental impact on website functioning and positions in the search results. If there are too many issues with your page, your positions in the SERPs may deteriorate.
Therefore, it’s essential to monitor website errors on an ongoing basis and, when they occur, remove them as quickly as possible.
Which errors should you pay particular attention to?
- 404 – this error occurs when a server can’t find a particular page (404 page not found)
- 500 – it appears when there are internal server issues (500 internal server error)
- bad redirects – every page on your website should have a correct 301 redirect to the main version of the page (e.g. from HTTP to HTTPS)
- broken links – these are links that no longer work. You should find them and replace them with working links as soon as possible.
- duplicate content – if there is a high level of internal duplication on your site, Google may give you a penalty. Therefore, replace duplicated phrases with fresh and unique content.
- insecure pages – every page should have a valid HTTPS protocol, pages without this protocol are considered insecure
4. Monitor Website Speed
When preparing your SEO daily checklist, you shouldn’t forget about website speed monitoring. It’s an important Google ranking factor, having a critical impact on both positions in the search results and UX.
Are you looking for website speed quick wins? Focus on the following elements:
- size of images,
- redirect chains,
- slow server response time
Once you improve website speed, you should constantly monitor it.
How do you do it quickly?
It’s best to do it through Google PageSpeed Insights. Check the URL of your site several times a week and see if something changes or if your site is still loading quickly.
Pay particular attention to website loading time on mobile devices.
After all, more and more users benefit from smartphones to finalize transactions!
5. Review Keyword Ranking
This point probably won’t surprise you but you should check the positions of the most important keywords in the search results practically every day, especially if:
- you introduce any changes to the site, both in terms of content and technical modifications,
- Google announces algorithm updates when your positions can change drastically.
The vast majority of SEO experts declare to track keyword rankings on a daily basis. As you can see, this task is really important, so join this group!
How to track your keyword ranking?
Of course, you can do it manually, but this would take ages. So, it’s much quicker to use available tools like Serprobots, Ahrefs, or SEMrush.
Want to learn more? Read our article: How To Check Your Keyword Ranking?
6. Build Backlinks to Your Website
Google trusts websites that have a large number of backlinks from reliable domains with high parameters.
If you want to rank high in the search results, you should also pay attention to lost backlinks and try to fix them. It’s another quick win that will help you restore your good page visibility and positions.
Many people underestimate backlinks, however, without a shadow of a doubt they have enormous SEO power. Make sure that the number of backlinks to your website increases gradually and constantly obtain new links from quality domains. It’ll allow you to boost your Domain Rating and Domain Authority parameters.
Do you need help with building backlinks? Try our link building services!
7. Be Active on Social Media
Social media have a huge impact not only on creating a brand image or improving communication with customers but also on SEO.
According to popular tools like Moz or Ahrefs, social media platforms have very high parameters and traffic. Consequently, Google displays higher businesses that are active on several social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Moreover, social media platforms are a great tool for building relationships with users. Post valuable content that will interest your audience and increase user engagement. Tell your followers on Facebook or LinkedIn about articles published on your blog.
Has your company attended an important industry event? Add photos to your Instagram profile. You have plenty of opportunities. Attract your target audience and position yourself as an expert in the field.
8. Keep Your Content Fresh
Want to show Google and users that your page offers up-to-date, quality content? If so, you should focus on updating your website on a regular basis.
The world around us is changing at a rapid pace. If you want to keep up with your market rivals, you should do everything in your power to make your offer and website stand out from the crowd.
Do you have old blog posts that used to perform well two or three years ago? Why don’t you update them and complement them with new pieces of information, graphics, videos, images, or video graphics?
Find out more about the benefits of updating your content!
Show Google that you’re active and strive to provide users with cutting-edge, high-quality content. This will quickly translate into improved visibility and positions in the search results.
9. Optimize Your Content
Content is king, that’s why you should take special care of it. If you want to make Google love your website, you have to offer top-notch content that is SEO-friendly, which brings users value.
Content that responds to user needs and is engaging will quickly make its way to the top 10 search results.
What should you focus on when creating new pieces?
- they should be tailored to the needs of your target audience,
- use keywords that are important for your business and have great potential for conversion,
- focus on long-form content – create articles or blog posts,
- your content should be up-to-date,
- add references to surveys, case studies, or citations of well-known people, it increases the trustworthiness of your content.
10. Look out for Cannibalization
Keyword cannibalization is when multiple pages on a website are optimized for the same keyword.
Why should you look out for it and focus on it in your daily SEO checklist?
If two pages compete for the same phrase, it can split the search engine ranking between these pages, diluting the traffic that comes to the site. It can also be confusing for users, who may not be sure which page to click on when they see multiple results for the same keyword.
How to check if your pages are cannibalized?
Type “site:websiteaddress.com” plus keyword into Google and analyze the search results.
To avoid keyword cannibalization, it’s crucial to conduct thorough keyword research to identify which phrases should be assigned to each page on the website.
Proper optimization and keyword analysis will help you to organize your website content and prevent situations when Google isn’t sure on what keywords a given page should be displayed for.
11. Duplicate Content Check
Duplicate content happens when the same content appears on numerous websites or on more than one page within the same website. It can be very dangerous and damaging to a site’s position in the search results.
Copying content from other sites or within your site will significantly lower your online visibility and may even result in a penalty from Google.
It’s worth mentioning that Google determines the author of the content based on parameters. Therefore, just because you wrote the content first doesn’t mean that Google will recognize that you are the author.
If this content is copied from you by a site with higher parameters, it will be the one that will be recognized as the author.
How to check duplicate content?
You can enter a content fragment in quotes into Google and see how many results there are. You can also use tools like Siteliner. It’ll quickly show you internal duplicate content on your website.
To solve the problem, simply create new, unique content for every page and make sure it contains keywords specific to each page.
12. Low-Quality Content Clean-up
That’s the last point of our daily SEO tasks list. Low-quality content clean-up is the process of removing content pieces that don’t bring value to users and have a negative impact on your recognition.
This may include deleting content that is poorly written, or irrelevant to your audience. To determine what pieces should be removed, first, you should conduct a content audit to identify pieces that don’t bring you any benefits.
Also, if your website contains poor-quality pieces that shouldn’t be considered by Google when determining your rankings, but you don’t want to delete them, you can always block them in the robots.txt file. This way, they won’t affect your positions in the SERPs but will still be accessible to users.
Want to learn more? Read our article: What is a robots.txt file and how to use it properly?
Daily SEO Tasks List – The Takeaway
That’s the end of our SEO daily checklist. If you want your website to succeed in search engines, you need to continuously monitor the effects of your SEO activities.
Create your checklist of things to check daily, weekly, and monthly. This will allow you to control the visibility of the site in the search results, the website traffic, and keyword positions at all times.
Need help with SEO? Feel free to contact us. With the support of our specialists, you’ll quickly find a strategy tailored to your needs and improve your website traffic and conversion rate.
This is an update of an article published in 2020.
Your article is very helpful for me thank you.