Local SEO helps users find products and services offered in their area. When analyzing pages to display, Google takes into account the place where potential consumers are at the moment of typing the query into the search box and tailors the SERPs to this place.
Local SEO is especially important in the service market. Thanks to using search engine suggestions, users can collect data about brick-and-mortar stores, restaurants, cinemas, medical clinics, or service establishments.
A strategy based on local SEO allows local businesses that don’t use other forms of online advertising to rank high for specific local long tail phrases. Thanks to it, they’re displayed to potential consumers. It’s worth remembering that an effective local website should be functional and adapted to mobile devices.
From 2017 to 2019, the number of searches with the phrase ”near me today/tonight” increased by 900%. These figures alone show that local SEO is worth the hustle, especially if local businesses operate in highly competitive industries and want to reach potential customers.
Google provides geographically-related results based on:
What does it mean for your business?
If you have optimized local business listings and you’re close to users entering a local query into the search box, there is a greater probability that you can be found by potential buyers.
What are the benefits of local SEO for your business?
- high positions in the search results for local searches
- increased web traffic and more leads
- better conversion rates
- higher revenue
- better brand awareness and recognition
- more loyal local customers
- lower advertising costs
Read more about the benefits of local SEO for your business!
Delante has experience in working with local businesses in many different industries. We work with hotels, medical clinics, art galleries, and many more. No industry scares us! Thanks to our experience in over 20 countries we know how to manage local markets all over the world. If you choose Delante as your local SEO company, no matter where you operate, we will help you conquer the market!
When will you see the results of your individual local SEO strategy? At this point, you need to know that SEO takes time to bring the full results. However, it’s definitely worth the wait as its results last long term. The first effects are usually visible about 2-3 months after the local SEO kicks off. You’ll notice an increase in your site’s visibility. Then the organic traffic will grow and eventually it’ll bring better conversion rates.
Still have some doubts? Check our clients’ reviews!
Find more of what our clients have to say about cooperation at our Clutch.co profile!
Zakrzewscy Clinic is a local business, that operates within the Silesian voivodship in Poland, and is headquartered in Katowice. It specializes in aesthetic medicine, dermatology, and laser therapy. We started working together at the beginning of 2018. One of the first things we did was transfer the site to a new domain. After 8 months, the site was displayed 27 880 times in search results:
After 2 years of cooperation the visibility continues to grow:
Check out how we did it with our other clients. We have much more success stories to share with you!
We know there’s a lot to factor in when calculating local SEO price, so to give you some specifics, usually, the price for the process varies from around $ 1000 – 5000. Every website is evaluated individually to ensure the best results.
At Delante, every budget is set up for each client individually, so we can make sure it will cover all the crucial elements and will contribute to the best results. Often, our clients decide to start the process with lower budgets and raise it up when they notice the effectiveness.
So, how do we spend the client’s budget when managing the SEO process for the local business? Usually, how we allocate the money depends on the stage of the process.
During the first month, we tend to add our own resources to ensure better kick-off of the process, while the majority of the client’s budget goes to crucial website analysis like an SEO audit. Later on, the money will be reallocated to different process areas according to the website’s current needs. It’s the flexibility that allows us to shape local SEO in a way that will bring the best results.
Here’s an example of local SEO budget reallocation over time:
What is Local SEO?
As we’ve already mentioned, local SEO is the process of optimizing your website and planning both off-site and on-site strategies to increase your page visibility in the local organic search results for location-specific queries.
Local SEO usually comes to the rescue of businesses that have a physical location. These include restaurants, bars, clinics, pet services, law offices, chain stores, or any other service or product providers that operate in a given city or region.
What are the Benefits of Local SEO?
With local SEO, you can increase your visibility in the organic search results for long-tail, location-specific keywords. This way, people who search for given services or products in their area come across your brand.
Making sure that your listing in Google is appealing will give you the opportunity to stand out and get local customers.
What are other benefits of local SEO?
- high positions in the search results for local searches – if you operate in a highly competitive industry, it might be infeasible for you to compete with tycoons in your sector. However, optimizing your website and listings for local, specific, and long tail keywords gives you a chance to rank higher for these phrases and reach potential customers who are determined to finalize transactions.
- increased web traffic and more leads – higher positions for local keywords and an active Google My Business listing is a great way to attract more website visitors. If your business is shown both in Google Maps and in the search results, the chances are that people will visit your website, and choose your offer if it appeals to them.
- better conversion rates – even though optimizing your website for specific long tail and local keywords means that you may reach fewer recipients, the truth is that people who enter such queries into Google are far more likely to make a purchase (if you run a store), book a room (if you’re a hotel owner), or visit your venue (if you have a restaurant or other type of a local business). Approximately 28% of local searches end with a purchase. This means that a well-thought-out local SEO strategy can help you improve your traffic, and conversion rate.
- higher revenue – did you know that even 72% of potential customers who search for a local business decide to visit a venue that is located a maximum 5 miles away from their current location? If you’re within these 5 miles, yet your business isn’t displayed in the local search results, you’ll miss the boat.
- better brand awareness and recognition – even if potential customers don’t choose your listing the first time they come across it in Google Maps or local search results, they’ll learn that your company exists. Improving your brand awareness and recognition is crucial, because the next time someone is looking for a local restaurant or a hotel, they may remember your business, attractive photos, and prices. Consequently, they’ll choose your offer right away.
- more loyal local customers – approximately 56% of local companies haven’t claimed their GMB listings. This means that doing it gives you a competitive edge over half of your market rivals. Why do we think so? Because poorly developed Google My Business listings don’t inspire trust. Consequently, potential customers who come across them in the search results will probably choose the offers of businesses that provide photos, reviews, links, prices, directions, and more.
- lower advertising costs – local SEO doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. In fact, it’s one of the most efficient ways to reach high positions in the organic search results. Although optimizing your website and managing business information in GMB listings and other directories is time-consuming, it can be done for free and brings outstanding results. This makes local SEO a cost-effective online advertising solution.
How Does Local SEO Work?
Are you wondering how local SEO works? Unsurprisingly, there are a few important factors that determine the positions in the local search results. Therefore, if you want to boost your rankings, you should focus on the following elements:
- Google My Business
- Google My Business Categories
- The proximity of Address to Point of Search
- Physical Address in City of Search
Use them to convince Google that your website, as well as products or services, can be trusted and should be displayed to users entering related queries into the search box.
We’ll discuss each of these elements and tell you how to properly optimize your offer in the subsequent part of the article.
How to Do Local SEO – 10 Tips to Achieve Success
If you’re planning to include local SEO in your marketing activities, here is a list of things you should keep in mind:
1. Google My Business Profile
Google My Business profile is an absolute must-have for any business that has a physical location and operates within a city or region.
GMB is a free tool that allows you to manage your business data and modify the listing displayed in the search results. Keeping your information updated, listing important products or services, taking care of photos, encouraging customers to write positive reviews and building relationships with your Google My Business community will help you rank higher in the local search results.
Want to learn more about optimizing your Google My Business listing? We have a separate guide for you!
2. Google Map Pack
Google Map Pack (also known as Local Pack) are local search results that include Google Maps listings. They’re displayed when users search for local businesses.
Let’s take the query “restaurants near me” as an example:
As you can see, after entering the query, users get not only restaurant names but also a map with highlighted locations of the best-ranked restaurants in the area.
It’s important to mention that in the case of Google Map Pack, the results are different for different locations because they’re connected to the physical location of a person who typed in the query.
Google Map Pack evaluates your content based on slightly different factors than traditional Google search results. Therefore, if you want to optimize your website for Google Map Pack, you should:
- Set up a Google My Business profile and provide all the relevant information about your local business,
- Add your business to Google Maps,
- Include photos of your services, products, or team,
- Get users’ reviews,
- Make your website mobile-friendly,
- Optimize your website for local keywords.
To monitor your business’s visibility in Google, you can use tools like Local Rank Tracker.
3. Local SEO Keywords
Local keyword research is one of the most important elements of every local SEO strategy.
As you can probably guess, in the case of local keywords, you should always remember your business location. This might be either a city (Kraków, New York, Berlin), your region (Tuscany, Bavaria), or even a country (USA, Italy, Germany).
Selecting the right local keywords is crucial to ranking high in the search results and reaching potential customers who are interested in your offer.
For keyword research, you can use available tools such as SEMrush, Ahrefs, Google Keyword Planner, and Google Trends. If you don’t want to invest in paid solutions, it’s definitely worth going through your competitors’ websites and checking related searches or suggestions displayed on Google.
Local keywords should combine 3 elements:
- modifier – a phrase that makes the keyword more specific and adds an additional value to it
- core term – the most important part of a local keyword describing your business profile
- location of your business
Therefore, the examples would include “cheap hairdresser New York”, “luxury restaurant Toronto”, or “professional web development agency UK”.
When choosing keywords for your local SEO process, you should remember about the search intent. In a nutshell, it’s what a user wants to get by typing in a given query into Google. There are 4 main types of search intent:
- informational – users want to learn about a specific topic and understand it better,
- navigational – users look for a specific brand or website,
- transactional – users want to buy something or use a service,
- commercial – users already know what they want to buy, but are looking for reviews or opinions to make a final decision.
To check the search intent of a specific query you can either type it into Google and analyze the top search results, or use special tools like SEMrush.
If you want to learn more about determining the search intent, check out our article on search intent SEO.
4. NAPs Citations
NAPs are a very powerful Google ranking factor that can take your local SEO to the next level.
The acronym stands for Name, Address, and Phone number, which are the basic contact details that allow local customers to get in touch with your business.
NAPs inform Google that your business actually exists, and helps both users and search engine robots to verify your trustworthiness. Moreover, if potential customers can’t find important information about your restaurant, hotel, or store right away, they’ll probably choose your market rivals who will give them everything on a silver platter.
If you want your NAPs to support your local SEO, you should remember to:
- complete all key information about your business: name, address, and phone number are obligatory in every NAP, however, if you have such a possibility, enter your homepage URL, email, description, logo, or images as well,
- make your NAPs consistent and reliable – always provide real data, and make sure that information in different NAPs isn’t contradictory,
- keep your NAPs updated – if you change address or phone number, update NAPs as soon as possible. Leaving your data outdated means lost traffic and revenues.
5. Schema LocalBusiness
Schema (also known as structured data) is a great solution that helps Google crawlers understand your website and provide users with necessary information. Thanks to it, users searching for specific products or services can see your prices, photos, or geolocation already in the search results. This can give you a competitive edge over your market rivals and attract more visitors to your page.
When talking about local SEO, you should definitely implement LocalBusiness schema, as it can bring tangible benefits to your company.
LocalBusiness schema should include the following elements:
- company name,
- opening hours,
- price range,
- homepage URL,
- phone number,
Find out more about Schema and how to implement it!
6. Local Content
Content is an important ranking factor that supports both traditional SEO and local SEO.
56% of customers state that they search a company’s website to find accurate information about its offer. Therefore, it’s worth making sure that your page is filled with quality, diversified texts that bring value to the users. If you want to rank for local keywords, you should optimize your website for relevant phrases.
What should you do if you run a multi-location business and operate in several cities?
Consider preparing individual location-specific landing pages for each location. For example, if you want to get local visitors from New York, Philadelphia, and Boston, then you should create separate landing pages with unique content for each of these cities.
A company blog is another source of quality local content. With its help, you can generate more traffic and support your local SEO.
Planning your content calendar will help you reach potential customers at all stages of the sales funnel. If you want to increase your visibility in the local search results and be displayed for more keywords, create entries related to:
- product/service announcements,
- industry news,
- important events in the area.
If you think that the blog era is over, definitely check out our article: https://delante.co/company-blogs-in-2020/
7. On-Page Optimization
On-page optimization is the next step to success. When doing local SEO, you should consider certain tasks as a priority. It’s particularly important to:
- include a keyword in the H1 heading,
- add at least several H2 headings to divide and organize your content,
- make URLs short, user-friendly, and include keywords in them,
- create alt text for all your images,
- use HTML emphasis tags (<strong>, <em>) to mark keywords.
- create title tags that are between 50 and 60 characters long, are unique, describe your business profile, include your location and start with the most important keyword,
- write catchy meta descriptions that are between 140 and 160 characters, encourage users to visit your website, briefly summarize your offer, and include long tail, location-specific keywords. They can boost your CTR by 8%, the game is worth the candle!
To learn more about on-page optimization, check out our fresh 2022 On-page SEO checklist that will help you make Google love your website.
8. Local Link Building
Local link building is about obtaining hyperlinks from other websites to your page. It’s an important ranking factor as quality backlinks from valuable websites have a positive impact on DA (domain authority) and PA (page authority) parameters.
Thanks to link building, local businesses can reach higher positions in the search results. Moreover, users who encounter such links on local blogs, and forums can visit your website and learn about your company’s existence.
A well-thought-out link-building strategy means improved traffic, boosted website parameters, increased brand recognition, and more leads. A large number of natural links coming from quality domains sends a signal to Google that your local business offers good products or services. Check out local directory sites, forums, or blogs that represent the location where you operate and try to obtain quality backlinks.
Even though reviews may not seem so important when doing local SEO at first, they can either benefit or harm your business. Reviews account for even 15% of the entire local SEO pack rank. This means that Google takes them into account and considers them to be serious determinants of your offer’s quality.
It turns out that even 30% of people use their smartphones to check out products online before buying them in brick-and-mortar stores. If these people encounter negative reviews or no reviews at all, they may consider your offer unreliable. In such a situation, they’re likely to leave your website or GMB listing and choose your market rivals instead.
Building relationships with customers, encouraging them to write reviews, resolving complaints, and replying to comments is the best way to effectively use social proof in local SEO.
Not convinced yet? Check our article where we explain how reviews help with local SEO.
10. Social Media
Optimizing your social media profiles to attract new followers and guide them directly to your website can significantly support local SEO.
Being present on platforms like TikTok, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube gives you an opportunity to reach new potential customers, increase traffic to your website, increase the number of keywords your business ranks for, and obtain valuable backlinks to your page.
When looking at social media from the users’ perspective, the above-mentioned platforms are great tools for increasing your brand recognition and building relationships with customers. Thanks to it, you’ll win loyal buyers who are likely to stay with you, even if your market rivals offer slightly lower prices.
To make your social media activities even more effective, consider influencer marketing and work with local influencers who are role models to many young people. Such barter cooperation can bring you more benefits than costly paid ads.
Local SEO is an efficient and effective recipe for improving your position in the organic search results and Google Maps for location-specific keywords. If you run a business that largely depends on brick-and-mortar traffic, a proper local SEO strategy will allow you to reach more potential customers at low costs.
Need help with your local SEO strategy? Consult our experts. We’ll take your traffic to the next level!
PR & Communication Specialist
When doing local SEO, we focus on long tail and location-specific phrases that will help your company rank high in the local search results and Google Maps in your area.
On the other hand, traditional SEO aims to improve your visibility on a global or national scale. It doesn’t involve location-specific phrases and doesn’t focus on one city or place.
Although SEO and local SEO involve many similar or same activities, local SEO uses advanced measures to help you to connect with potential customers in your area.
Local SEO allows local businesses to effectively compete with their market rivals. A properly developed strategy can help you:
- Reach high positions in the search results for local searches
- Increase web traffic and obtain more leads
- Boost your conversion rate
- Improve your revenues
- Increase brand awareness and recognition
- Win loyal local customers
- Reach satisfactory results without spending a fortune on advertising activities.
The costs of local SEO are determined by a number of factors such as your website condition, current positions, the industry you operate in, the number of activities, and the results you want to achieve.
If you want to learn more, contact Delante. Our experts will be more than happy to discuss your local SEO strategy with you!
Read more on our blog
In order to optimize the financial aspects of your website, you will find that local SEO for e-commerce is a crucial aspect to consider. By tailoring your site to be as analogous to the real world as possible, you will allow for people trying to find your business with important geographical or local information, thereby driving sales and engagement. In this article, we can tell you the best practices to incorporate local SEO into your website and how to optimize the e-commerce local SEO aspect of your entire business!Read more
It’s important to keep ahead of any of Google’s algorithmic changes, so finding out how to prepare for Google local SEO changes is a great way to keep ahead of the curve. You are going to want to prepare your business for local SEO changes in order to maintain peak effectiveness and ensure that your business can be seen by anyone that wants to find you!Read more