- Blog comments: why are they helpful?
- How to encourage blog comments?
- How can blog commenting support SEO?
Blog comments: why are they helpful?Apart from sharing the author’s expertise and insights, blogs can be used as a medium for exchanging worldviews with other Internet users. Below you can see a list of reasons proving that blog commenting helps SEO:
- Making users visit your website again
- Increasing content credibility
- Providing extra intellectual value
- Building relationship with readers
- Free content
- Knowledge test
How to encourage blog comments?
1. Create substantive contentIt’s not about quantity but about quality - sometimes it’s better to prepare only a few posts a month to ensure that they’re full of substantive content. Obviously poor quality content may also encourage comments, however, probably not the positive ones you dream about. It’s certainly a good idea to share tips or unprecedented pieces of information. We realize that this task isn’t a piece of cake but the efforts will certainly pay off. Controversial content may also attract users and make them leave comments, however, the reactions may not always meet your expectations.
2. Don’t require setting up an accountIf you want to discourage users from writing comments, require them to set up an account. However, in all probability, that’s not your objective. Bloggers sometimes decide on mandatory registration in order to avoid spam. However, this issue can also be solved with appropriate security solutions and it’s definitely a better idea, as it’s more than likely that a vast majority of users won’t decide to set up an account only to be able to leave a comment. Of course, there are also blogs with engaged communities. In this case, obligatory registration doesn’t bother users. Still, if you’re just starting your blogging adventure, offer people the possibility to comment on your entries without having to create an account.
3. Share content in social mediaInform users about new content if you run a fan page with a substantial number of followers. Some of them will certainly click on the link and go through the article or even write a comment.
4. Ask for ideas for subsequent entriesInternet users who value your content and perceive you as an expert in the industry may provide you with suggestions regarding subsequent entries which gives you an opportunity to discuss certain issues and resolve doubts. Ask your readers to share their ideas in the comments section.
5. Comment on other blogsVisit other blogs. It would be great if they were thematically related to your activity. Leave unique comments or even direct the author and readers to your entry but make sure that you offer substantive content. If you write something like “cool post, check out my blog”, it’s very likely that it’ll be considered spam and deleted.
6. Allow users to leave a linkMany users comment on blog entries only to obtain links to their websites which is supposed to improve their visibility. If a website visitor publishes a quality comment, you can allow them to leave a link. According to Google, it’s best to use the rel="ugc" attribute for such content. UGC which stands for user-generated content indicates to Google algorithms that the link was provided by the user. However, as you can see below, Google also recommends removing the rel=”ugc” from links added by users who write quality comments. As a result, their websites can gain more thanks to such a link because it may strongly impact the visibility in SERPs.
7. Ask a question in the blog post contentEncourage discussion. Perhaps users will be willing to share their expertise and experience. Surely, they’ll have completely different opinions on numerous issues so be prepared for that. Thanks to the discussion, you can also draw precious conclusions - after all, it’s one of your main goals.
How can blog commenting support SEO?Blog commenting can bring you numerous benefits and improve your visibility on Google. Below you can see a list of advantages of active discussions taking place under your blog posts:
- Being displayed for a wider range of keywords
- Updating content
- Obtaining backlinks to the site
- External linking