- What is Negative SEO?
- How Can I Identify an Attack?
- How to Protect Yourself From Negative SEO
- You Can Defend Yourself from Negative SEO
What is Negative SEO?Simply put, negative SEO is any malicious practice that is directly aimed at hindering your SEO rank, thereby pushing you further and further down the list in terms of reputation and optimization. It is employed by malicious actors who know you don’t know how to protect your website from negative SEO attacks so that they can capitalize on your weakness. These people perform underhanded actions to hurt your business so that they can succeed.
What is a Negative SEO Attack?There are many different vectors negative SEO attackers can take in order to damage your website. They range in strategy, but all focus on lowering your ranking as much as possible so that their site will always be rated higher. Some of these attacks are performed in the following ways:
- Duplicating content
- Creating fake social media accounts that pretend to be your business
- Link spamming
- Website hacking
- Using spam and incorrect keywords in anchor text to negatively target your website
- Deleting backlinks that are already available on your site