Table of Contents:
- Noscript Tags – What Are They?
- Nonscript Tags vs. SEO
Noscript tags – what are they?
In Chrome, do it in the following way:
1. Select “Settings”.
2. Click “Privacy & Security.”
3. Click “Site Settings”.
The same can be done in a different way:
- Click F12.
- Click F1 or Settings.
- Click F5 or refresh the page to see the results.
Where should you place noscript tags on your website?
Locations where it’s beneficial to apply noscript tags include:
- sliders – meaning carousels that display images on the page;
- sections like an accordion – they’re usually encountered in FAQ sections where it’s possible to unfold answers to questions;
- pagination – “see more” sections that complement page content.
If your page includes numerous elements that operate thanks to JS and you worry they may not be shown to users, it’s worth applying noscript tags.
Noscript tags vs. SEO
As stated by Maile Ohye, a former Google support engineer, Google analyzes the content of noscript tags. However, they should accurately reflect the content of JS scripts, otherwise, the bot may perceive them as cloaking.
Does it mean that if Google indexes noscript content, you should always place alternative content in the tag to make sure that it’s indexed? Not necessarily – incorrect use of this solution can have negative consequences.
Moreover, as a result of this situation, Google might display the content of the noscript tag in rich snippets or in the meta description. This, in turn, may negatively affect your conversion rate as users will notice that a visited subpage doesn’t contain content they’re looking for.
Search engine robots may also decide that all your subpages include the same content. Consequently, Google may display only one website element and dismiss the remaining subpages.
How to use noscript tags properly?
Follow these rules:
- Don’t use the same noscript tag on all or numerous subpages.
- If you want to display the same element every time, provide the message in the form of an image. This way, Google won’t index the same text on every subpage.
- Make sure that the content of noscript tags corresponds to elements of JS.
Applying noscript tags with the abovementioned rules in mind certainly won’t have a negative impact on your visibility in Google.