What is HTML? – Definition
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) is a standard markup language which is intended to build the website structure and its content.
HTML consists of various tags used to control the page layout and functionality. By using HTML tags, you can, for example, change background color, make bold text, insert an image or a link.
There are opening tags (e.g. <h1>) and closing tags (e.g. </h1>) tags (also known as start tags and end tags) – between them there is usually inserted content that needs to be formatted. Some tags, like e.g. <br>, don’t contain any content, they are called empty tags. Some tags may additionally contain attributes that provide more information about a given element.
The Most Important HTML Tags for SEO:
- <strong></strong> tag – highlights content of the greatest importance, displayed in bold,
- <em></em> tag – highlights content of the greatest importance, displayed in italic,
- <b></b> tag – bold text without great importance,
- <i></i> tag – italic text, indicates technical terms, quotations or words in a foreign language,
- <br> tag – inserts a break line in content, empty tag,
- <hr> tag – inserts a horizontal line, empty tag.
Now that you already know what HTML is, you can test how the selected tags work. You will need a text editor and a web browser for this.