Increase in July 2019 compared to July 2018
Increase in July 2019 compared to July 2018
We started collaborating with Equip on the 1st of June 2018. Back then, the majority of traffic was coming from paid search. The number of entries from this source in May 2018 was 18089, while the organic reach was 15533.
The shop is based on IAI CMS that relatively wells answers SEO activities and offers a lot of opportunities for optimization. The number of indexed subpages was 11,3k at the very start of our collaboration.
- IAI SHOP CMS
- Very competitive industry
- Big shop (on the start of collaboration 11,3k indexed subpages, now it is 14,9k)
- The majority of traffic came from Paid Search source
- Domain with some history (from November 2011)
- Seasonal sector/shopping (the highest traffic is noticed between July and September)
For such a big shop with so many products, the best approach to apply is a broad, long-tail SEO. It consists of the usage of many keywords that suit a homepage, categories and products. Thanks to this approach, we can increase the visibility of the whole domain, not only particular subpages.
At the beginning of the collaboration, based on historical data and analysis, we’ve chosen around 80 phrases for monitoring. After 13 months of cooperation, we already monitor 656 phrases.
#1 Problem: Not enough content on the page
What was the very first problem we encountered? Just a few content pieces on the website. A lot of product descriptions were old; some of them were duplicated. We expanded and optimized the block of content on the main page. Additionally, every month, we add new descriptions of categories and brands, so the amount of content is nothing but growing.
Examples and effects:
- we added text and optimized a subpage of the Skross brand
- we added text and optimized a subpage of the Sea to Summit brand
- we added text and optimized a subpage of the Hedgren brand
We also prepared a couple of rules and requirements as for writing new product descriptions for the Client. Thanks to this practice, all new products that our Client adds, have the right and optimized descriptions.
#2 Problem: Titles and meta descriptions
A lot of titles and meta descriptions were too short or duplicated. They were not optimized for a specific set of keywords. Along with optimizing particular subpages, we also change their titles and meta descriptions.
The example of the optimized category: https://equip.pl/pol_m_Plecaki_Akcesoria_Plecaki-worki-12040.html
#3: Main Page
The Main Page also required some optimization that we implemented in the first place, at the beginning of the collaboration.
- The title and meta description were not optimized. The title should include the most relevant keywords at the very beginning, and then the name of the shop should be included. The meta description was too short and not optimized for selected keywords.
- However, there was some content on the main page already, which is a plus! It was not optimized and a bit too short, though. We extended this piece of content and formatted it by adding headlines, bolding keywords and linking to the most critical categories in the shop.
Main page content before optimization:
Main page content after optimization:
- The logo’s image alt did not include keywords. We changed the alternative description to Suitcases, backpacks, bags and travel equipment – Equip.pl shop.
Logo’s image alt before optimization
Logo’s image alt after optimization
Phrases adjusted to the main page, after a few rounds of optimization, started being positioned higher and still occupy high positions in search results:
#5 A lot of 404 errors
At the very beginning of the collaboration, Search Console alarmed us of many 404 (Page Not Found) errors. A lot of them were caused by deleting unavailable products and linking to them within the shop.
We put working links in brands’ descriptions and categories’ descriptions.
We also advised Equip.pl to keep unavailable products on the site so they would still be visible, with an alert of a temporary lack of availability, or to create an archive of such products.
Data from MOZ:
- 102% increase in Google views comparing July 2018 to July 2019
- 51% increase in organic traffic comparing July 2018 to July 2019
- 78% increase in revenue from organic traffic comparing July 2018 to July 2019
- Now, more traffic comes from organic search, not paid search.
Cooperation with Equip is a pure pleasure – the engaged client who wants to understand the whole process and be a part of it. We stay in a constant communication and we’re working together since the June 2018th! What is extremely important, Equip is aware of the seasonality of their industry. That’s why they, in advance, give us information on what products we should focus at that time. Together we search for solutions to ensure constant growth of the shop and that’s awesome! 🙂
Find out how we build a 150 000 users per month traffic for the LEGO bricks price comparison website!