Building traffic from from scratch
We started the cooperation with Netcube on 23rd of October, 2017. The website was brand new, and the organic traffic in November 2017 amounted to 113. Basically, all site parameters remained low – both domain & website authority equalled 1, whereas the MOZ ranking was 0. We started from scratch, and we had to solve this puzzle ourselves.
We did quite well – in the second month of the cooperation the organic traffic already amounted to 700 sessions, and the website started generating revenue. How did it happen? Keep reading to find out.
A few facts for starters:
- The store managed with Shoper CMS
- Brand new website, without any history
- Low domain parameters
- Niche products
- Strong, recognizable competition – with high authority in Google, and among the target audience,
- Seasonality affecting the industry
- Low budget
Similarly to the Rubik’s cube and the ability to figure it out in a million ways, there equally many possibilities when it comes to finding a given website in Google. Each website, or even every subpage, can be found in the search engine through many different keywords. That’s precisely why we decided not to limit ourselves, but to optimize Netcube’s website for a large number of detailed keyword phrases, which basically meant taking a broad-based approach to SEO.
Problem no. 1: Only the main page was indexed by Google
Netcubes’ website was brand new – actually, it was launched only a few days before the cooperation started. The main issue was to have it displayed for the branded keyword. We added the XML map to Search Console and made sure it was indexed.
The problem with indexing the whole website also applied to the elements that should not be indexed (such as results lists or pagination). We blocked them in the robots.txt file.
The majority of subpages was indexed on the 11th of December – the index then contained 552 sites:
The phrases started climbing up fast. The branded keyword also quickly made it to TOP 1:
Problem no. 2: Poor optimisation of titles and meta descriptions
Titles and meta descriptions for the subpages were created based on the standard Shoper CMS’ configuration, which wasn’t very SEO-friendly. We implemented the global settings for titles, taking advantage of the pattern that would add the word “cubes” to category names, and “logical cube” to product names. Meta descriptions (which in most cases were not added at all, or they were simply the copies of the titles), were also set up globally on the basis of following patterns:
Problem no. 3: “Unfriendly” URLs
The URL addresses were generated automatically which meant a standard for Shoper CMS, yet not really SEO-friendly, URL structure. We changed manually the way how URLs were configurated:
The exemplary changes:
Problem no. 4: Lack of H2 headers on the website
There were no H2 headers on the website. The only existing ones were H1, which were matching the names of the products. We added a global setting that generated headers in product descriptions automatically, according to a pattern:
Description: /name of the product/
Reviews: /name of the product/
If there was a cube description missing, then the headers were not generated.
Problem no. 5: A lot of unavailable products
Since Netcube often sells new products, available only for a certain period of time, we had to optimise them for SEO purposes quickly.
Thanks to global optimization, new cubes that were added to the shop “jumped” to top20 immediately. Then, we worked on increasing their ranks to top10, top6…
Apart from that, we also focused on the names of manufacturers and popular cubes, that always sell well.
The effects of optimisation for selected phrases:
Problem no. 6: Lack of product photo tags in schema
The lack of product photo tags in schema resulted in the lack of thumbnails displayed on mobile devices.
We implemented the schema manually, thanks to which the photos appeared during the mobile search.
Increase in the average CTR on mobile devices:
Problem no. 7: The lack of (or improper) structure of the alt texts
The photos on the website had no alt descriptions. Gradually, we added the alt texts to all pictures.
The increase in the number of views in the image search results:
The increase in the number of domains and site linking to Netcube:
Domain Authority and Page Authority equalled 0 at the beginning. At this moment, however, in the MOZ ranking, they happen to be the following:
- Increased visibility of the website in search results:
- An organic traffic increase of 280% each year, when comparing two months in which the sales are the highest (before Christmas, to be exact):
- An average increase of 300% when it comes to revenue generated with organic traffic (when comparing the same months – from this year, and the year before)
- Since there’s visible seasonality within the industry, we also compared two periods in two subsequent months. The increase in organic traffic in those periods exceeded 100%.
Maleomi is a shop where customers can buy various items and accessories for their homes. See how in 9 months we have increased the number of visits to the website from the organic channel by 101%!