- What is Google Ads Quality Score?
- How to Improve Google Ads Quality Score?
- Why Should You Improve Google Ads Quality Score?
- Improving Google Ads Quality Score - The Takeaway
What is Google Ads Quality Score?Quality score is an estimate of the match between ad content, keywords, and landing pages. It's a metric that evaluates how your ads do compare to other advertisers. How does Google Ads quality score work? It's calculated on an ongoing basis, each time a user types a phrase related to your ad into the search engine. The score you can check in the Google Ads panel is from the last day when your keyword was in an auction. If the keyword was in several auctions during the day, the score is the average from all the auctions. Because of that, the Google Ads quality score constantly changes, so it's a good idea to monitor it on a regular basis. Although it's not a key indicator when creating a campaign, it's important and you should pay attention to its components. Why? Because the quality score Google Ads 2022 translates into the frequency of ad display, its effectiveness, and cost per click. The value of the score is determined on a scale of 1-10, separately for each keyword. A higher value of the index means that the advertisement and the landing page correspond to the query. The score is calculated taking into account other ads that are displayed for the keyword.
How to Improve Google Ads Quality Score?To improve your Google Ads quality score, you should focus on each and every element that affects it. Frequently, the activities are somehow related, as refining one element has a direct impact on the other. Each change introduced in the campaign influences many components of the quality score.
Expected Click-Through Rate (eCTR)The eCTR predicts whether displaying an ad for a given keyword is likely to end with a click. An increase in the current CTR will lead to an increase in the eCTR as well. To improve eCTR, you need quality content that precisely answers the user's query and encourages them to click on the ad. There are a few proven ways to improve the eCTR:
- Include keywords in the content of your ads. They should appear in headers to show users that the ad is closely related to their query. The automatic keyword insertion feature can streamline the task.
- Use calls to action in your ad content, e.g. "Check out the offer" or "Buy now". Test different options and choose the most effective one.
- In the content of your ads, present the advantages of your offer that make you stand out from the crowd. Include industry-specific information that is important to users. In the case of an online store, these may be, for example, free returns, in the case of services, e.g. quick delivery or warranty.
- Tailor your ad content to the time, location, and device on which the ad will be displayed on. Prepare special seasonal content, take into account holidays, sales, or important events. Optimize your ads for location and devices.
- Test different solutions and choose the most effective ads.
Ad RelevanceThis indicator evaluates if your ad matches the search intent. In other words, it checks whether the offer presented in the advertisement satisfies the needs of users. In order to improve this indicator, you should prepare a set of precisely chosen keywords. Here are some proven ways to boost ad relevance:
- Add negative keywords that prevent ads from being displayed for phrases unrelated to the product or service you offer.
- If mobile searches are different from desktop searches, prepare ads suitable for mobile devices.
- Target your ads to the region where you do business and use appropriate language.
- Test different types of keywords.
- Group your keywords and prepare ad content for each group.
- Categorize your keywords into groups and tailor your ad message to them. This can be done in a number of ways, e.g. create groups based on product/service or according to user intent, rely on the sales funnel, or use another scheme tailored to the site's offering. Choose the most appropriate division for your offer and test it. If it doesn't work, you can use another grouping scheme.
Landing Page QualityThe indicator determines how relevant, transparent and easy to navigate the advertised landing page is for users. Suppose you want to improve this element, direct traffic from ads to relevant pages, and take care of the quality of the site. To enhance the performance of your landing page:
- Select landing pages corresponding to your ads, make sure they’re directly related to the user's query and the presented offer. If you sell a specific product/service, redirect users to that product/service page. Providing a link to your home page or a page presenting the full offer isn't an effective solution.
- Choose a page that is a follow-up to the offer presented in the ad and is consistent with the call to action. If the ad says "Buy Now" or "Book" the page the user goes to must enable taking such action.
- Improve your website loading time.
- Optimize your website for mobile devices. In this case, easy navigation is probably even more important than in the case of desktop devices.
- Invest in SEO and make sure that your website is in line with Google requirements. It'll not only improve your site's visibility in organic results but also increase your Google Ads score.