Marketing is king – this phrase is frequently repeated in SEO environment by people involved in different types of Internet businesses. It’s been known for a long time that content on the website is crucial when it comes to various onsite activities. That’s why we’ve decided to take a closer look at everything related to the content. Today, you’ll learn about satisfactory numbers, where to put your content and what needs to be included in the texts to improve your visibility in Google! Enjoy reading!
Why do you need content?
Before you familiarize with all the guidelines for various kinds of content found on different websites, maybe it’s a good idea to wonder why do you actually need it in the first place. Well, content helps you to increase not only the number of search views but also your sales. A perfect example here is the case study of Lubie Buty, where only in 9 months we managed to increase the organic traffic by 617% mostly by adding relevant content on the website.
We can distinguish two main reasons for creating content.
Benefits for users are the first reason. Don’t forget that online stores are created mostly for customers, that’s why it’s essential to catch their attention and encourage them to familiarize with the offer. The homepage is a real business card of every company, so you should do your best to present the business properly and explain to users why it’s particularly beneficial for them to do shopping on your website. Here, the writing style is also crucial, you should adjust it to the target group. Content can be a great way to build a long-term relationship with a customer. However, it very often appears that users know what to expect from the website as soon as they enter it. Consequently, the content is often found at the bottom of the page so that the most important categories or products are easily noticeable.
The second reason as to why you should put content on the website is its value for Google. Including relevant keywords which will give the search engine a hint about your business is crucial if you want to achieve high rank in SERPs. To do it, you also have to make your texts unique and natural, as this type of content will certainly be appreciated by Google, which in the search results much more eagerly shows valuable websites filled with reliable and useful for users information.
Properly created content is a key element of every website and it’s supposed to inspire trust not only of the users but also of the search engine.
Where to put content and what are its most important features?
The content should be found practically in every part of an online store. So you ought to take care of your texts not only in respect to the homepage but also when it comes to categories, subcategories or even single products. Don’t worry, the rules of text formatting are the same for all these components of your page. The only thing that will differ is the content which should precisely describe what can be found on a given subpage.
So what should you include in the content to make it valuable both for Google and users?
- Headers. They are the key element which increases number of visits to your website and prioritizes them according to the validity of content on the page. A correct text structure should contain one H1 header and two H2 ones. It’s useful not only for the users as the headers indicate the most important aspects of your website but also for Google as the keywords included will help to improve your positioning. You can learn more about headers from one of our previous entries: https://delante.co/what-is-a-website-header/
- Keywords. If you want to ensure high rankings in SERPs, you can’t forget about including a sufficient number of keywords for the homepage, categories or products. You should also pay particular attention to inflexion and wide range of synonyms of the most important words. This way your texts will look more natural. But what about Google robots? No need to worry, they perfectly understand all kinds of declination, cases and numbers. However, keep in mind not to overuse the keywords because it can be treated as manipulation and your website can be punished for that. So what keywords density is safe? For example, in the content of 300 words there should be maximally 2 or 3 uninflected keywords matched to a given subpage.
- Text formatting. It’s particularly beneficial for customers because thanks to it, the content becomes more transparent and comprehensible. Going through a text divided into paragraphs is much easier and this is also appreciated by Google which cares primarily about the users and their convenience. A piece of advice for you, don’t even think about using Black Hat SEO, meaning, for example, hiding the content by setting the same font and background color. Such things are severely punished by Google.
- Internal linking. Including internal links in the content will make it easier for users to navigate your site. Moreover, providing anchor links to categories or products which are related to the relevant keywords will have a positive impact on your positioning in the search results. To learn more about this topic have a look at our article: Internal Linking Structure
Since you’ve already learned about the most important features which should be included in the content of your online store, let’s think about the guidelines for the body on given subpages:
- the homepage content;
- the category content;
- the product content.
The homepage content
The homepage content is created to provide the users with all the necessary information concerning your business.
- The total length of the text: 300-500 words.
- The text must be unique. Therefore, it shouldn’t appear on any other subpage, for example in the “about us” tab. You shouldn’t also inspire yourself too much with the competition on the market while writing.
- The previously mentioned appropriate text formatting is welcomed here. The content doesn’t have to be squeezed in one place, quite the opposite, dividing it into several paragraphs and placing in different parts of the homepage will look more esthetically and attractively. Nevertheless, don’t forget about proper headers.
- The description should include information about the company, its uniqueness in the industry and the offer.
- It’s also advisable to use references to particular categories on your site (internal linking).
- Adjust the words you use to the customers, it’s a good idea to include in your content phrases that might be used by the users while they search for a particular product.
- Remember about epithets and synonyms, they’ll broaden the variety of words thanks to which the website appears in the search engine.
The category content
The texts on the subpages of specific categories and subcategories will saturate them with the content. This, in turn, increases the number of phrases thanks to which your categories will appear in the search results.
- The total length of the text: 250-300 words.
- Again, uniqueness. Avoid copying other websites.
- Appropriate text formatting. Remember about separating the descriptions with headers, use bold and italics while writing the category name, its features or other information important for users.
- Internal links to product pages or other categories would be also a good idea.
- In the content, there should be information about:
- the category it concerns (here, usually its name will be the keyword);
- distinguishing factors by which the users can search for products in a given category;
- producers of goods in a particular category (you should at least name them);
- the most important products or related categories.
The product content
The product content will be created analogously to the category content, nevertheless, it’ll slightly differ in its substantive side.
- The total length of the text: 200 words.
- And again, uniqueness. The content shouldn’t be copied from your competition on the market, moreover, it shouldn’t be also repeated on different subpages of your online store. If you have plenty of products of the same brand, a paraphrase will be a real lifesaver.
- The content should be separated with H2 headers, you can also use bold and italics when writing the keywords, which are usually the product names.
- It’s ideal when your description is a combination friendly both for users and for search engines.
- Remember about links to producers or products of other related categories.
- In the content, there should be information about:
- types of products (it’s quite important whether they’re dresses or boys’ pants);
- distinguishing factors (such as color, fabric/material, size or other characteristic features) by which your customers will be able to search for a given product;
- the producers (their names need to appear in this section);
- the specific name of a particular model (if it has such a name).
SEO-friendly content for your website in a nutshell
|The length of the text||300-500 words||250-300 words||200 words|
|The information about||
Duplicate content and uniqueness of texts
Our entire article is based on one simple principle: the content on your page should be unique. This way you can eliminate duplicate content which is severely punished by Google robots. The uniqueness of your texts has also a significant impact on the users, who will probably get frustrated and leave your store after encountering the same product descriptions again and again. There’s also a risk that the text copied for example from a producer is covered by copyrights and in such case you may have to face serious legal problems as a consequence.
Creating properly optimized content is of key importance for the positioning of your website. Adding texts on the site increases the number of displays in search results and consequently it also boosts organic traffic which directly influences the sales in your online store. This way we’ve proved that content is king!