What Is Off-Page SEO?Off-page SEO is all SEO strategies that are done off a website. Their main goal is to increase the visibility in the search results and boost organic web traffic. The most popular and most frequently introduced off-page SEO elements are link building strategy, getting brand mentions, activities in social media, etc. With the right off-page SEO strategies, Google can recognize a website as reliable and authoritative. As you can see, off-site SEO is one of the most important elements of strategy and workflow in our agency:
7 Off-Page SEO Techniques
1. Link BuildingBacklinks are, without any doubt, the most important off-page SEO strategy which has won recognition from marketers all over the world. For Google, a large number of backlinks is a clear signal that a website offers fresh and up-to-date content and, what’s more, that responds to users’ demands. As a result, Google ranks much higher on websites with a large number of backlinks. There are 3 main types of backlinks:
- natural links - these are links that you can obtain in a natural way, for example by recommending your product or service, they are not part of link building strategy,
- manually built links - links obtained through link building activities, they also include customers or influencers’ shares,
- self-created links - these are links added automatically e.g. to the signature in forums or blog comments; be careful here because sometimes they can be considered as black hat SEO.
Link Building FactorsDo you know how to plan a building strategy link so that it will bring the desired results? There are several factors you need to keep in mind. Here, Ahrefs will definitely come in handy and give you lots of valuable data.
1. The Number of Referring DomainsWhen planning a link building strategy, you should remember that not only the number of backlinks matters but also how many domains they come from. The more backlinks from high-quality domains, the better the chance to rank higher in the search results. Information about the number of referring domains will be displayed once you enter the URL in Ahrefs:
2. Dofollow and NofollowNofollow attribute (rel=”nofollow”) is added in the HTML code. With it, Google crawlers do not follow the link and it has no impact on Google ranking. More and more websites add this attribute to external links in order not to share SEO value. When planning a link building strategy, you need to pay attention to whether the link from a given domain will be dofollow or nofollow. I recommend the Nofollow Chrome extension, which shows which links have the nofollow attribute. If you want to find only dofollow links, there is a filter in Ahrefs Site Explorer that will hide all links with a nofollow attribute.
3. Anchor TextAnchor text is a clickable text on a link. In HTML code, it looks like this: <a href=”https://delante.co/definitions/anchor-text/”>anchor text</a>. A good SEO strategy involves adding keywords to anchor texts, which increases the chance that the website will be displayed on them in the search results. However, you have to be careful, because if almost all links will contain anchor text with keywords, Google will consider it as manipulation and, as a result, will penalize your website.
4. Link AuthorityRemember that planning an effective link building strategy is not only about the number of backlinks, but also about their quality. Sometimes one link from a high-quality domain can be more beneficial than 10 links from bad domains. After all, you don't want to get backlinks from malicious spamming websites, right? In defining the link authority Ahrefs also proves to be very helpful.
5. Web TrafficWeb traffic also turns out to be one of the factors determining whether a given link is valuable or not. Pages with great organic traffic are definitely more profitable to get backlinks from. Web traffic of a page may also be checked in Ahrefs Site Explorer.
2. Social MediaDid you know that 84% of people who have access to the Internet are active on social media platforms? What does this really mean to you and how is it connected with off-site SEO strategies? Although social media are not directly Google's ranking factor, they can make a great contribution to increasing visibility in the search results. But why is that? Because the most popular social media platforms, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, or Pinterest (just to name a few...), have immense traffic and authority. Google simply trusts brands that are regularly active in various social media. What're more, users love to share valuable content with others, which also increases brand awareness and recognition. What to remember when planning SEO strategies for social media?
- post something regularly,
- always include links to your website in posts or comments,
- complete all necessary information about your brand in the “About” tab,
- use various visual media, e.g. infographics, images, or videos (they are more eye-catching and that’s why they increase your chance to boost shares).
3. ForumsMany SEO experts recommend using forums as effective off-page SEO strategies. You have to be careful as for many years forums have been used by SEOs for adding spam comments and threads there. For this reason, many people have recently dropped out of this form of off-page SEO tactic. I personally advise you to use forums, but do it wisely! How to use forums for your off-page SEO strategies?
- find a forum related to your industry, your niche,
- post mainly on forums that have dofollow links,
- be helpful and contribute your knowledge,
- always stick to the topic of a thread,
- do not promote yourself overly.
4. Guest PostingGuest posting can really make a great contribution to your brand - not only because you can gain valuable links, but also because it is a very effective marketing strategy. By writing an article or blog post to the website of someone well-known and influential in your industry, you can gain brand recognition among your target audience and simply share your knowledge thanks to which you will be perceived as a real expert. What is interesting, according to a study conducted by SEMrush in 2019, in which 850 SEO specialists indicated the most effective, in their opinion, link building strategies, guest posting was a definite winner (as many as 53% of them recommended guest posting). Would you like to discover which blogs in your industry are worth starting cooperation with? SEMrush may give you some great hints! Use the Link Building Tool in SEMrush and select URL type (just like in the image below). Check what blogs will work best for you! How to use guest posting for link building? Discover it in a few basic steps!
- Select the right blog - preferably in a similar niche and which has the same target audience.
- Check the site’s performance - pay attention to the most significant SEO metrics, such as Domain Authority (DA), Page Authority (PA), web traffic, UR, DR.
- Contact directly with your guest posting offer.
- Write a contributing and engaging article - you don't write this blog post just to get a link, so share your knowledge.
- Promote the guest post on social media.
5. Local SEOSome local SEO elements, especially Google My Business and NAP, are really important elements of off-page SEO strategies. Let's discover why!
Google My BusinessGoogle My Business is key when it comes to local SEO. Without your GMB account, you simply lose the great potential to gain local customers. What information should it contain? When creating the GMB account, be sure your profile includes:
- business category,
- opening hours,
- website address,
- phone number,
- business description,